August 15, 2012

Military Tribute

Last Sunday there were State troopers all around the interstate at exit 108.  I kept wondering what they were doing  - is there an escaped convict, are they doing a random dui stop (on Sunday afternoon?), are they closing the interstate, are they just shooting the shit under the interstate bridges - what the crap were they doing.  It didn't take long for me to find out.  As Sunday progressed I started seeing small groups of military trucks, hummers, and haulers going by.  They were headed to Heritage High School just down the road.  It turns out that there was a whole unit (unit, battalion, brigade - I don't know the proper term) that was moving and they were staying the night at the High School.  It was really a pretty cool site to see.  Later on in the evening my dad called.  He said that he had sat in the driveway on the 4 wheeler and waved as some of the groups passed. They were honking and waving back.  Moving at such a slow speed on the interstate I seriously doubt that smiles and waves were the kind of hand gestures that they may have been getting all day.  Dad wanted to do something to salute them the next day so we rigged the American flag to the front end loader on the tractor right up by the road.  It was perfect.
    
I got out of the house in time Monday morning to take some pictures before coming to work.  About 500 troops stayed at the High School and they were making their way back to I65 North all day Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment