January 13, 2014

Mississippi Chicken

We've been making Mississippi Roasts at our house in the crockpot.  They are super tasty and I found the recipe through pinterest here.  We've used both beef and pork.  What we've liked best thus far is getting pork picnic.  Admittedly I don't love having to cut the skin off because I am slow at doing so but it really has been the best tasting meat we've done.  I normally get bone in and when it is done cooking I can grab the bone and it pulls straight out - no cutting involved.  

After making a roast with the pork picnic last week the hubs asked me if I thought it would work with chicken...well - there's only one way to find out.  
And the answer is YES!  It makes quite a tasty chicken.  
1 five to six pound chicken - skin removed
Sit it right down in your crockpot.  DO NOT ADD ANY WATER
Lay 1 stick of butter on top.
Sprinkle 1 package dry Au Jus seasoning and 1 package dry ranch seasoning over the top.
Add 7 - 10 pepperocini peppers (I only had 4 or 5 left in my jar).
Cook on low 8 - 10 hours.  

When I got home from work my plan was to pull the legs and wings off and then strip & shred the rest of the meat.  I grabbed a hold of the leg bone and it came out clean.  This chicken was super tender and plenty moist.  You can see in the picture on the right how much juice it made.  
The only change I would make is that instead of using the seasoning packets I would probably just season with salt and pepper.  The chicken didn't absorb the seasoning well like the roasts do so next time I may just make my own seasoning recipe to see how it turns out.  There was not an ounce of waste with this chicken.  All the bones fell out and the meat shredded super easy.  
Yummy chicken night at our house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment