February 26, 2013

South Western Soup

 I have been having a hankering for some good southwestern soup.  
I love what they have at Chili's but haven't ever found a recipe that I loved. 
So I tried my hand at making a crockpot recipe wit the items that Russel and I like in our South Western soup.  
It turned out yummy. 
 
Here's our recipe!

Ingredients:
2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
Water
1 can Mexican Ro-tel (diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro)
1 packet Taco Seasoning (whatever hotness you desire - I used mild)
2 cans (14.5 oz cans) Swanson's Chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) black beans drained and rinsed
Whole kernel corn  **I used a bag of Kroger frozen whole kernel but you can use drained rinsed canned corn too.  I would probably use 2 cans if I wasn't using bagged**
1 medium sweet onion chopped

Optional ingredients:
shredded cheese
avocado sliced
salsa
sour cream
tortilla ships

This recipe made my crock pot about 2/3 full.  I would say enough for 8-10 full bowl servings
Place two frozen chicken breasts on the bottom of an ungreased crock pot.  Pour the ro-tel (including all its juicy goodness) over the top of the breasts.  Fill the ro-tel can about 1/2 full of water and pour beside your chicken onto the bottom of the crock pot.  Do not pour over the chicken.  You want the ro-tel to stay on top of the chicken.
Cook on low for 8 hours.
After your 8 hours is up, pull the top off your crock and smell the yummy delishiousness that is your cooked chicken.  Take two forks and shred your chicken right in the crockpot.  It should shred REALLY easily and be super tender and juicy.  Now you are going to add all but your optional ingredients. So get to it and add your taco seasoning, chicken broth, black beans, corn, and onion.  Stir it all up good and let it cook on high for an hour - or low for a couple more hours.   
You've waited long enough now - so ladle out a big helping of our South Western Soup and top with your favorite optional ingredients.  We go for the shredded cheese and sour cream but add all the South West toppings that you like.  
I hope that you love the recipe - I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions - If you want to share this recipe please do but please give credit where credit is due and link back up to this post.  
Thanks!  Stacey 

No comments:

Post a Comment